Sunday, May 9, 2010

Back From the Dead

Wow, it's been a while since I last blogged! My internet unexpectedly died, and it took me all week to get it sorted out. I'm still not sure that everything is fully resolved, but at least it works for now.

I started off my morning with a complimentary yoga class at Lululemon (which I hope will become a routine that I can speak more about), and when I got home I refuelled with a chocolate banana protein shake that had one frozen banana, one scoop of chocolate protein powder and one cup of almond milk in it. Yum!


After I got ready for the day, I had a real breakfast of eggs and toast with some peanut butter, which really hit the spot. I'd been craving eggs for a while so it was nice to finally have some!


My day was spent out and about, and I stopped at Starbucks in the afternoon for an iced coffee and some free wifi ;) I also had my apple with vanilla yogurt + cinnamon to snack on.


I've been wanting to make a recipe I saw on television a while ago, Squash Gratin from Ricardo and Friends, so I finally decided that today was the day. I went to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients, and it must've been meant to be:



I got the very last butternut squash! What are the odds? By the time I got home from shopping I was already starving but I knew the recipe would take at least an hour and a half to make, so I snacked on some crackers (that I ate before I could get anywhere near a camera), and some strawberries in a cute fish bowl I got from Target on my trip to Buffalo.


The strawberries were amazingly sweet and juicy! This made me excited for all the wonderful summer fruits to come in season again :) My snack held me over well until dinner, which I also enjoyed in my fish bowl.


After two hours of waiting and cooking, the end result was just okay. I think that roasting the squash with some butter and brown sugar would be a lot easier (and possibly tastier), but I'm still glad I got to try the recipe out.

Because I haven't baked anything in a while, I also decided to go for another recipe that I saw: Brown Butter Blondies. I knew this one would be delicious, because Michael Smith is my kitchen hero and has never steered me wrong before ;) I don't think anything that went into the batter was very healthy - brown butter, brown sugar, butterscotch chips ... definitely a delicious combination, though! Ready to go in the oven:



And ready to go into my stomach:


It was sooo delicious and sweet and buttery, oh my gosh! Even just thinking about it now makes me want one. I ended up eating two squares, plus a bunch of crumbs from the pan while I was cutting up the remainder, and a few butterscotch chips might've found their way out of the bag as well. Oops! :$

The rest is packed up to take into work tomorrow or in the freezer to eat some other time, so I should be safe for now. Anyway, it's getting late and I have a date with a book. Good night!

1 comment:

  1. So funny! I made butternut squash risotto this week. : )

    ReplyDelete