Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Favourites

Today started off on just the right note - with homemade pancakes, a hot cup of coffee and a few hours of the Food Network viewed from the couch. Aaaahhh~



Pumpkin Protein Pancakes
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder
  • 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tsp brown sugar, olive oil, cider vinegar
  • 2/3 tsp baking powder
  • 1/3 tsp baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • pinch salt
Just mix the dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately, then combine and cook in a frying pan over medium heat. The recipe ended up making about 5 pancakes when I thought it would make more like 2, so I ate 3 of them topped with some peanut butter, and packed up the last 2 for later today.

I find it really interesting how taste buds seem to differ from person to person, and some people can't stand foods that other people swear by. I thought it would be interesting to post about some of my favourite and least favourite foods, and see what other people like (and dislike) as well :)

My Top 5 Favourite Foods!

Chocolate - Is there really anything better? ;) I like any kind of chocolate, any time of the day, and I usually eat some kind of chocolate at least once a day. I'm addicted!

Anything Creamy - Mayonnaise, milk, alfredo sauce, tartar sauce, butter, ice cream... I don't know what I would eat if these things didn't exist!

Fruit - When it comes to fruit, I don't really discriminate. I love all kinds of fruit (especially apples!), and even the ones I don't like as much (like watermelon and papaya) I still eat occasionally. I don't think I could live without fruit!

Salmon - It tastes amazing both cooked and raw. When I cook it, I almost always just bake it with some lemon and butter, because I think the flavour is so good on it's own that it doesn't need any glaze or marinade to cover it up.

Spinach - Definitely the best dark, leafy green of the bunch! I love how the taste both fresh and wilted, and there's almost always a container of spinach in my fridge.

My 5 Least Favourite Foods
Probably the only time these ones will appear in my blog ;)

Natto - Doesn't that picture just make you want to gag? "Fermented soy beans" don't sound good to begin with, but the crunchy texture of the beans paired with the snot-like coating and pungent smell basically makes these something out of a nightmare. People say that you either love it or hate it, and I guess I just wasn't meant to like it!

Eel - It's just something about the texture, with all the little bones and the fatty-tasting meat. It creeps me out and I just can't bring myself to eat it!

Bell Peppers - I don't know why I don't like peppers, but I really wish that I did! I do eat these occasionally in some things like spaghetti sauces, but I just really dislike the flavour. It's unfortunate for me, because peppers are in almost everything and they seem to penetrate the flavour of the entire dish once they're added in :(

Lamb - Something about the gamey taste that I don't like. Usually when I make a recipe that calls for lamb, I substitute in pork so that it's more enjoyable for me.

Rosemary - It's much too strong and distinctive for me, and I find the smell and taste disagreeable. Sometimes I don't mind it when it's baked in a bread, but I don't generally like it in anything.

What are some of your favourite, and least favourite, foods?

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Love the pumpkin pancakes. What a wonderful idea. I recently made some olive oil pancakes and they were good.

    Love and likes I have many. I try to keep an open mind when I comes to food, but some stuff I cannot do. Like any kind of organ meat...liver, kidneys, etc.

    I love leeks, smoked gouda cheese, pizza, chives, Yukon gold potatoes.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something about mayo grosses me out. I hate how it makes everything greasy and slimy. And it doesn't really have a flavor. I'm addicted to cheese in the way some people are addicted to chocolate, so that would have to be on my list too. And you're right Natto is super gross looking. I have a policy of trying everything at least once but there's a good chance that wouldn't get a second taste. : )

    ReplyDelete