Thursday, April 22, 2010

Trip Recap

I'm back! I spent the last 2 days shopping, moving, and enjoying all kinds of food - definitely a successful trip.

Wednesday

I was really impressed by Whole Foods, although I can definitely see why some people would call it "Whole Paycheck". I almost had a heart attack when I saw some of the prices lol. I was very selective with the groceries I bought, but I still managed to get some nice things - Peanut Butter Puffins, unsweetened soymilk, Maranatha Almond Butter, blueberry spread, agave nectar, unsweetened shredded coconut, bulk pecans and walnuts, and a loaf of oat bran bread. Can't wait to try everything :)


After my shopping, I got the most delicious lunch EVER. I wish I lived close to a Whole Foods just so I could come for the lunch!


I got Asian Pear & Ginger Kombucha tea thinking it would be really good, but it was just okay -nothing spectacular. :\


Here's a closer view of all the food I got - I basically tried a little bit of everything, and it was all fantastic! My favourites were the hummus (bottom right corner), the chickpea and date couscous (top left corner), and the cauliflower bistro dish (right below the couscous). Hands down the cauliflower was my favourite of the three, but at the bistro bar it was missing the tag that lists the name and ingredients, so I guess I'm destined to not know what was in it. I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time!



Last piece of cauliflower :'(


For dessert, I enjoyed a sample of some endangered species chocolate.


Yum!

(You can also see my favourite painting in the back of the car where I ended up eating the chocolate - I love the deer!)

After my amazing trip to Whole Foods, I met up with my mom for dinner at Canyon Creek. I was in the mood for a glass of wine, and my mom recommended the Peller Estates 'Heritage' Chardonnay, which was excellent and was exactly what I wanted. Thanks mom! ;) She ordered the Peller Estates Cabernet-Merlot, which she said was also good.


I helped myself to the multigrain bread and honey butter before the meal. The bread basket is definitely my weakness!


I had been all set to order the Seared Tuna Salad that I wasn't able to try the last time I was at Canyon Creek, but I just wasn't in the mood for it, so I changed my mind last minute, and instead ordered the Pan-Seared Halibut:

"Thick cornflake and Parmesan-crusted fillet on a bed of sautéed baby spinach and peppers with tomato-caper hollandaise. Served with sour cream ‘n’ chives mashed potatoes"

I decided to substitute seasonal veggies for mashed potatoes. My mom ordered the Simply Fish:

"Fresh grilled fillet marinated in extra virgin olive oil, citrus and white wine, seasoned with smoked Alderwood sea salt and lemon pepper. Served over sautéed spinach with cipollini onions, peppers and a mixture of seasonal vegetables"

My meal arrived looking delicious.


The meals were both excellent, but my mom was disappointed that "seasonal veggies" meant "one giant piece of broccoli", because she hates broccoli so she ended up just eating her fish, while I got double broccoli.

We passed on dessert because my mom had a Terry's Dark Chocolate Orange waiting for us at home, most of which disappeared without getting photographed :( Oops.

Thursday

Today was just a random shopping day spent bouncing around random locations in the GTA. This morning when I woke up I had some of the bread I bought from Whole Foods with my new Maranatha Almond Butter, and it was AMAZING. I'm now converted! I wish I had the jar with me right now so I could have some more!


After lazing around all morning, I made my way over to J-Town in Markham for some grocery shopping and lunch.


The bento I got was very simple, but it was actually really good. I must've really been craving some old-school Japanese food pretty badly, because I've never really been a Japanese pickle-person, but I was really enjoying the flavours of everything, even the umeboshi (pickled plum). I also had some Milk Coffee Pocky and oolong tea with my meal.

I spent the rest of the day driving around and shopping a bit - mostly just looking, because nothing really caught my attention. While at Vaughan Mills I ran into my favourite smoothie place ever, Jugo Juice. There used to be one right where I live, but it was bought out by one of the employees and turned into an independent smoothie store I didn't like as much, and now the closest one is an hour drive away :( Now whenever I see one, I always feel like I have to get a smoothie, just because I can!



I usually get their Green Tea Buzz smoothie, but their current featured smoothie (Blind Date - bananas, dates, non-fat milk and low-fat frozen yogurt) sounded so good I decided to try it instead of my regular.



It was amazing! I really liked how the chunks of date were chewy, so the smoothie felt more like a real meal because there was actually something to chew on. It was very sweet, probably because the fruits in it are naturally very sweet, and it just tasted great! I would definitely get it again.

After the drive back home, I met up with Nathan and a friend of ours for beers at Morty's to celebrate being done with exams. I got a glass of Rickard's Red, and we enjoyed a couple plates of wings and fries, mmm :)



Nathan enjoyed the wings ;)



You'd think after all the food I'd be absolutely stuffed, but I'm actually still hungry! Weird, huh? I'm also exhausted, so I think after a few snacks it's bedtime for me. Tomorrow I have to be up nice and early, because Nathan and I are going on a romantic overnight trip to Buffalo before we both begin work for the next few months. We're going to visit my favourite restaurant while we're there, so I'm really excited!

Wonder what it is? ;) Guess you'll just have to wait and find out!

Goodnight, and I'll see you all after my trip! ♥

2 comments:

  1. Aha! I found you. : ) Your blog has been bookmarked. That smoothie looks awesome. I love lara bars and they are made with mostly dates.

    Maybe I'm spoiled from having a lot of options, but I don't *love* whole foods. (ducks and covers head) There's just a lot of local, independent grocery stores in my area that are better (better delis, better meat counters, better wine selection...) for about the same price. I have to admit, Whole Food's prepared food is pretty awesome. Your takeout lunch looks awesome. I wish I could try the cauliflower dish.

    ReplyDelete