Sunday, April 11, 2010

First Entry~

This is my first attempt at keeping a food blog. I'm not sure how consistently I'll be updating this - I may blog my daily food, or I might just post interesting recipe attempts or general food-related themes, but I'll do my best to share the ups and downs of my kitchen with you! :)

I'm a little intimidated by the blogging world, because all of the amazing blogs I've read so far (like Carrots N Cake and Kath Eats). They have such amazing pictures and unique recipes that I feel like I can't compare! I don't even have a real camera at the moment (my digital camera broke a few months ago), so right now all I have is my iPhone. Hopefully it will do for now, and I'll be able to get a new camera sometime soon in the future :)

Right now I'm in the middle of an exam period for school, so my days are spent cooking and studying.

For breakfast today, I was inspired by the previously-mentioned blogs to get creative with my oats! I haven't really been much of an oatmeal person lately because I've been trying to get more protein, but now I'm really excited to start making new combinations in the morning.


This bowl contains:
  • 1/2 cup quick oats
  • 1/4 cup nonfat yogurt
  • large handful blueberries
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
  • sprinkling of sweetener
Lunch was kind of rushed because I lost track of time, so I had a cherry Larabar with peanut butter on top, and a small salad with avocado.


Dinner ended up being late as well, but it was definitely delicious! I had a fillet of mahi-mahi with a pesto cheese sauce, baked sweet potato fries and asparagus.


I made the sauce by mixing together:
  • 1/3 oz part skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1/5 cup nonfat yogurt
  • 1/2 tsp basil pesto
The sauce was delicious, but next time I think I'd wait a little longer before putting it on the fish, because it really reduced a lot on the oven and it would've been nicer if it was a bit creamer.

Now I'm off to study, but not before I enjoy a bowl of vanilla frozen yogurt with green tea egg roll cookies! :) I love egg roll cookies because they're so crumbly that they practically melt in your mouth. Mmm~

3 comments:

  1. OMG!!! That desert looked SO GOOD!! Im totally going to be trying that some time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a trick for getting nice crispy sweet potato fries? I've tried a few times to make them (baked) and they always end up mushy...in restaurants they always end up so much better! I'm definitely trying out this sauce next time I make fish, it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Kim
    I cook my sweet potato fries until they're black around the edges. I find that if you don't leave them in long enough, they just seem mushy and don't get the nice, caramelized taste. It may look like they're getting a bit burned, but they'll taste much better!

    ReplyDelete