Thursday, April 15, 2010

To get ready for my last day of studying, I fuelled up with an iced coffee!


I love Starbucks, but my budget is a little too tight to afford $5 iced lattes everyday. Instead, I wash out the cups after I'm done with them, and reuse them when I make iced drinks at home. That way I can save some money, and still feel fancy ;)

Lunch today was an omuraisu, or Japanese "rice omelet", which is ketchup-flavoured rice wrapped in a thin layer of egg. Very quick and easy, and a great way to use up leftover rice!





Omuraisu
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2-1 cup leftover Japanese rice
  • 2 tbsp ketchup
  • 1/2 tsp soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp mirin
  • Extras (ham, bacon, peas, spinach, etc.)
Beat the egg and pan fry in a thin layer, like a crepe. Remove from pan and set aside. Mix rice, soy sauce, mirin, half of ketchup and any extras in the pan, and cook just until heated through. Pour into egg wrapping, and fold so that fillings are covered. Decorate the top with remaining ketchup (I like the classic squiggle :) ). I chose to add some grilled chicken and peas to my omuraisu today.

For my afternoon snack, I had some homemade Vanilla Nut & Cranberry Mix, as well as some grapes (that I didn't photograph because I ate them too fast!).


I wasn't feeling very well all afternoon, possibly because my body didn't like all the caffeine in my iced coffee earlier. I ended up having the salad I had planned for dinner anyway, because I knew I would likely want it once it was made and sitting in front of me.


Easy Southwestern Salad
  • 1 cup mixed greens
  • 1/2 cup grilled chicken strips (coated in taco seasoning)
  • 6 sweet potato tortilla chips
  • 1/2 oz grated cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cubed avocado
  • 2 tbsp "chipotle sour cream" aka. sour cream + taco seasoning [Note: I never buy sour cream because I don't use enough, so I always sub in plain yogurt. Tastes just as good!]
  • 2 tbsp salsa
A little low on veggies because I haven't wanted to keep a large variety as I'm going to be moving soon, but normally I would add some tomatoes and scallions as well. It was good, but my stomach still felt a little uneasy after :(

For dessert I mixed some Cointreau liqueur chocolates and chopped ginger into 1/2 cup of vanilla frozen yogurt. Yum! :)




You can see the liqueur inside oozing out into the frozen yogurt. Very decadent! I ate dessert out of my new polka dot mug that I'm completely obsessed with now. Home Sense has the best stuff! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Food looks wonderful. I love the Omuraisu awesome dish. Gotta make some this weekend. Have a great day. Good luck with your studies. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete